Who Are We?
The Comparative and International Education Society of Canada/Société Canadienne d’Education Comparée et Internationale (CIESC/SCÉCI) was established in 1967. The goal of our society is to encourage and promote comparative and international studies in Canadian education. We are also a part of an even larger international society that seeks to link all types of education through a focused group.
What We Do?
- Promoting and improving the teaching of comparative education in institutions of higher learning
- Stimulating research
- Facilitating the publication and distribution of comparative studies in education
- Interesting professors and teachers of other disciplines in the comparative and international dimensions of their work
- Encouraging visits by educators to study educational institutions and systems throughout the world
- Co-operating with those in other disciplines who attempt to interpret educational developments in a broad cultural context
- Organizing conferences and meetings
- Co-operating with Comparative and International Education Society, and with governmental and private agencies in order to further common objectives
- Co-operating with other Canadian education societies to further common objectives
We are a bi-lingual national organization and a founding member of the Canadian Society for the Study of Education (CSSE). Our members consist of teachers, researchers, and graduate students in comparative education, international education, development education, Indigenous education, cross-cultural education, and related fields. Our members also include persons working in government and non-governmental agencies and organizations concerned with studies in the above fields.
Key Benefits of Membership
- Attend and participate in our annual conference at the Congress
- Engage with scholars in the field through professional networking and collaboration
- Professional affiliation with an academic society, which can be listed on your academic CV
- Join our listserv and receive our newsletters, which post call for publication, academic job postings, and information on what is happening in the field of comparative and international education in Canada and internationally
- Representation to many national groups and connection with decision makers through the association’s engagement with the World Council of Comparative Education Society (WCCES)
- Free subscription and potential publication opportunities with the association’s official bilingual journal Comparative and International Education/Éducation comparée et internationale
- 25% discount for subscription to additional CSSE journals (See the list of journals http://csse-scee.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/csse_2013_otherjournals.pdf )
- Access to CSSE and CIESC Newsletters
- Affiliation with the Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Opportunities to apply for the CIESC-SCÉCI’s research and distinguished service awards: David Wilson Award, Douglas Ray Award, and Michel Laferrière Research Award
- Graduate students have access to our annual Graduate Conference Travel Grant
How Can I Join?
When you join CIESC-SCÉCI, you must join CSSE at the same time. See the following for the CSSE Annual Individual Membership Rates:
Student / Low Income: $50.00
In addition to the CSSE membership fee, the CIESC-SCECI annual membership fee is $40 for regular and international members, and $20 for student/retired/low income members. To join please visit: https://www.assocsrv.ca/csse/index.asp?LANG=E